Our Statement of Faith
These are the core truths that underpin our church and that members of HBC believe.
1. We believe in the inspiration of the Bible and its authority in all matters of faith and practice. We believe in the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments as verbally inspired by God, inerrant in the original writings and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life. (2 Tim 3:16, Romans 15:4)
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Matt 28:19, Romans 8:9, 2 Cor 13:14)
3. We believe in the true humanity and Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, and is true God and true man. (Luke 1:30-33, John 1:14, Col 1:15-20)
4. We believe in the atonement made by our Lord on the Cross for the sin of the World. We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death but also spiritual death, which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and in the case of those who reach moral responsibility, become sinners in thought, word and deed. (Heb 9:28, 1 John 2:2, Gen 1:26, Romans 3:23)
5. We believe in salvation by faith in Christ alone. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood. (Acts 4:12, Luke 24:25-27, Romans 3:24-25)
6. We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven, in His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate. (Matt 28:5-6, 9-10; John 13:3; 1 John 2:1)
7. We believe in “that blessed hope”, the personal return of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (1 Thess 4:13-18, 2 Thess 1:10)
8. We believe in membership in the Christian Church for the regenerate. We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God. (Heb 10:24-25, John 1:12)
9. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost. (1 Cor 15:51-52, Rev 20:11-15)
10. We believe in the immersion of believers as the only scriptural form of baptism. (Acts 2:38-41, Matt 28:19)
In addition to our Statement of Faith, the following principles shape the teaching and ministry of HBC:
Gospel Centrality - We seek to base our lives and ministries around the good news of what God has done for sinners through the life, death and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ (Romans 1:16-17).
Authority of Scripture - We believe the Bible is God's inspired word and completed revelation that is sufficient as our sole authority in matters of faith and practice (2 Timothy 3:15-17).
Expository Preaching - We believe that God's means for making known his word to the church (2 Timothy 4:1-3) and to the world (1 Corinthians 1:21) is preaching which explains and applies the meaning of Scripture.
Baptist - We believe the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord's Supper are reserved for believers in Jesus Christ. We are congregationally governed and elder-led.
The Sovereignty of God - We hold to the truth that God is in control of all things, while moral agents remain responsible and accountable for the willing choices they make (John 6:37-44).
Spirit-filled lives - We believe in the active, life-giving, ongoing ministry of the Holy Spirit within the context of the local church as well as individual believers' lives. We hold that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is always in perfect unity with the inspired Word of God; therefore all fillings, leadings and experiences of the Spirit must be subjected to its authority (John 6:63; Acts 1:8; Ephesians 5:18).
Complementarian Relationships - We hold to the equal value of men and women, while acknowledging male headship in the church and home (Genesis 1:26-27; Ephesians 5:22-23; 1 TImothy 3:1-7).
Our Christ Centred vision:
Gathering for Him
Growing in Him
Going with Him